For many developers deploying applications in production, they are forced to pick between two extremes: expensive yet simplistic platforms like Heroku, or complicated, do-it-all-yourself services like AWS. By contrast, our client makes it easy to get up and running quickly but also allows applications to scale and increase in complexity over time, preventing a transition to DIY infrastructure.
Our client's goal is to completely free up developers and teams from managing infrastructure. This will ultimately improve all software and enable entirely new kinds of applications.
They’re building products that abstract over complexity and minimize cognitive overhead for our users. This requires careful thought, high creativity and a deep understanding of application requirements in production. Their stack is React, GraphQL, Go, Kubernetes and PostgreSQL, but they don't require prior experience with any of them. They are looking for engineers with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn.
Their platform serves over a billion requests every month, and they have tens of thousands of users including Stripe, NYU, and US presidential campaigns. They also have product-market fit and rapidly increasing revenue, and they’re backed by the same early stage investors behind Airbnb, Snap, and Stripe.
As a backend engineer, you will take complete, end-to-end ownership of projects across the entire stack. You should already have experience building products across the stack and have a keen understanding of web frameworks, APIs, databases and multiple backend languages.
- They are solving a problem faced by every developer and development team. It's a massive and rapidly growing market (AWS is privately valued at over $200B, and there are over 20 million professional developers globally).
- They serve over 1 billion requests every month, their users love them, and their revenue is growing quickly.
- Their stock grants are in the 99th percentile.
- The former CTOs of VMware and Dropbox are two of their biggest investors and cheerleaders.
- The company is led by Anurag Goel, who was employee #8 and Head of Risk at Stripe. He helped Stripe scale from 10 to over 400 people and is applying many of the same principles that helped Stripe succeed.
- Everyone wants to move their infrastructure to Kubernetes, but it's too complex for the average development team. This company makes it possible to get the power of Kubernetes without any of its complexity.
They’re a small team of world-class engineers. They have complete, end-to-end ownership for every project we take on and expect the same from you. They review all major code changes through pull requests and are always pushing ourselves to do better. They iterate quickly and deploy to production several times a day.
The biggest issues with platforms like Heroku are lack of flexibility, and cost. They are solving the cost problem by using containers and Kubernetes and intelligently scaling compute resources up and down. This will continue to be a major area of engineering investment for us going forward.
They solve lack of flexibility by using Kubernetes under the hood and abstracting all the associated complexity so our users get all the benefits (load balancing, service discovery, autoscaling, health checks, self-healing) without needing to manage Kubernetes or build everything on AWS.
The challenge is in building the right user-facing abstractions that make simple application deployments effortless and complex application deployments possible. User experience is their primary focus and drives everything they do.
Projects you might work on:
- They run their Kubernetes clusters on Google Cloud Platform and AWS. You will enable clusters to run on other clouds and eventually in our own data-centers. You will also allow our users to connect resources with their private networks in existing public cloud infrastructure.
- You will build a managed MySQL product for users.
- You will create an effortless serverless abstraction and enable per-request billing for containerized resources.
- You will use machine learning to optimize container scheduling and save resources while keeping user workloads responsive.
- You will create open source projects and documentation in multiple languages and frameworks to demo features.
- They work great with GitHub and GitLab repos. You will add Bitbucket integration.
- You will build out the CLI and make the user dashboard even better.
You are a great fit for this role if:
- You have an intuitive understanding of web frameworks, APIs, and databases, and have worked with multiple programming languages.
- You have a few years of professional experience shipping software. Bonus points if you’ve excelled at a small, high-growth startup.
- You are both curious by nature and an impressively quick learner.
- You are unfazed by unfamiliar codebases and enjoy figuring things out on your own.
- You can wear multiple hats and work across the stack, both collaboratively and independently.
The ideal candidate would check everything above, but you should certainly apply if you identify with most of it.