My Client is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Their product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
They’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. Their philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. They value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. They believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
My Client is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Their leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. My Client is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
Our infrastructure consists of thousands of connected machines in nearly 100 data-centers across the country, with new machines spinning up every week. We are harnessing petabyte storage and petaflop compute power in a highly distributed environment. Our systems ingest roughly 50Gb of video per second, then transcode, segment, and encrypt it to deliver live television to our users. Meanwhile, our DVR storage system writes millions of episodes to disk every day. We operate in two different environments: on commercial cloud infrastructure, as well as within the unpredictable world of remotely managed hardware in a wide variety of hosting environments across the country.
As a backend engineer you will be responsible for:
- Brainstorming, designing, implementing, and rolling out the next generation of the system to handle an order of magnitude more channels, users, and recordings.
- Developing our video pipeline: building a highly available transcoding, segmentation, and video hosting and storage system.
- Automating system configuration: since we’re a small team, constantly deploying both new hardware systems and code in cloud infrastructure, we have no choice but to heavily automate our infrastructure.
- Hacking on our monitoring and management system: we graph, track, and alert on all kinds of metrics up and down our stack, giving us important insight into performance trends and helping us catch issues before they impact our users.
- We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development.
We are language agnostic, but most of our server-side code is written in Golang, Node, and Ruby, with some C++ and Python. Our centralized infrastructure is built out on Kubernetes, and we practice continuous deployment across all of our systems.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!