$170 - 200k Base Salary + Equity + Bonuses + Benefits + Perks
2-4 week post signing offer
Our Client's mission is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. They help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, they believe they will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
They have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it – just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Our Client one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
A small, enthusiastic team with strong user demand
Why this job is exciting
- You will be one of the first backend engineers for this team. You will have a large, immediate impact on the shape and direction of code insights.
- Despite its early stage, code insights is a heavily requested and fully user-validated feature: multiple Fortune-1000 companies have specifically requested early access to try working prototypes.
- Extremely interesting challenges and opportunities in making code insights scalable to hundreds of thousands of repositories, while also making it more powerful with filter capabilities, actionable insights, custom data sources – and much more.
- In addition to serving all of existing developer users, code insights is the first feature we're building to serve engineering and product leaders at the director-or-above-level.
- Users all have deeply technical backgrounds, meaning we can focus on the innovation and power of code insights rather than get caught up in product education. Immediately upon joining, your contributions will make their way to developers and engineering directors who love Sourcegraph and the idea of code insights, giving you an exciting and direct feedback loop on your work.
- Code insights will shape how all the top engineering-first companies build, organize, and evaluate themselves.
- You have practice at creating high quality software balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g. cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate when necessary, as well as taking the time to do things right when appropriate.
- You communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- You have a desire to make distributed systems observable (logging, metrics, tracing, etc.) and ensure they are scalable (load tests, etc.)
- You have an interest in learning about time-series databases and the challenges of high cardinality data.
- Work closely with frontend engineers, our Product Manager and Product Designer to implement a scalable, performant backend for code insights using Go.
- Actively shape the direction and participate in the planning of the features we're going to build, e.g. by writing and reviewing RFCs.
- Collaborate with frontend engineers, and sometimes with our customers, to define the ideal APIs needed to deliver on the desired user experience.
- Collaborate with other product teams like search, code intelligence and campaigns to figure out integration points with other features.
- Desire to learn or existing understanding of Go fundamentals (e.g., dealing with concurrency, error handling, testing).
- Skilled at designing, building, testing (e.g., unit, integration, end-to-end), and debugging high performance distributed systems.
- Good knowledge of Git in particular or other version control systems more generally.
- Experience using SQL or Postgres specifically.
- Experience in designing APIs to be consumed by Single Page Applications collaboratively with frontend engineers or as a full-stack engineer.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with time-series databases.
- Experience writing high performance Go code and benchmarks.
- Large and/or numerous contributions to open source projects.
- Published blog posts and/or tech talks about your work.
- Experience working on small high-performing teams, preferably tech startups.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Experience in backends for the space of data visualization, dashboards, analytics or similar.
- Interest in measuring code and engineering best practices.
- [15-30m] A Recruiter
- [45m] Past experience, suitability for the role: Engineering Manager
- We schedule additional interviews across multiple days:
- [60m] Coding skills: Two backend engineers
- [60m] Architecture: Two backend engineers
- [60m] Team collaboration: Product Manager and Product Designer
- [30m] Director of Engineering
- [30m] CTO
- We check your references.
- We make you a job offer.