Our client is a well funded, early-stage, profitable startup in the data-as-a-service space. They are seeking a Data Engineer to build, scale, and monitor pipelines that process hundreds of terabytes of geospatial data daily, to join our fast-growing team. You'll be reporting directly to the CTO. This position will involve travel up to 20% of the time.
Their mission is to gather, curate, and deliver high-quality data to innovators in the Fortune 10, startups, and the public sector.
Who you are:
- You are excited about the idea of leveraging open-source and proprietary technologies to build massive pipelines that process billions of rows of geo-location data
- You want to join a well funded, profitable, early-stage data startup
- You have a strong GTD mindset and problems in an effective and scalable way
- You can work and communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues
- You don’t need supervision to thrive - you think in first principles, know the right questions to ask, and can develop and execute on a vision
What you’ve done:
- You’ve spent 2-4 years experience in a technical role at a cutting-edge technology company
- You have a strong engineering background in a technical discipline - ideally Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math, Data Science, or Statistics
- You’ve built pipelines that process massive amounts - ideally hundreds of TBs - of data in the past and know your storage and analysis technologies well
- You’ve worked tirelessly to optimize the ETL (extracting, transforming, and loading) pipelines you’ve built and can speak credibly to the challenges and solutions you’ve developed
- You’ve become comfortable working in one of Java, Scala, or Python
- You’ve worked with distributed system, cloud technologies, and open-source technologies like Spark, Cassandra, Kafka, Elastic Search, Airflow, Hadoop
- You *actually* know SQL
What you’ll do:
- Help architect, create, manage, and optimize Veraset’s massive, geospatial, data pipeline
- Build analytics around the core pipeline to provide actionable insights into key metrics such as customer acquisition, data insight generation, or operational efficiency
- Dive-deep into the data to gain key insights and proposed scope expansions to grow our business
- Collaborate cross-functionally with our customer, sales, and product teams
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc...
- Work with our leadership to help craft the direction of the data and architecture
- Contribute to building out the software engineering team
- Own your destiny - Investigate, propose, and action your ideas to help us achieve our potential as a business
- They're a remote-friendly company with team members in San Francisco, New York City, Salt Lake City. They full offices in NYC (Tribeca) and SF (SoMa).