Why this job is exciting
As the engineering manager for our DevOps (we call it distribution) team, you will lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives to make easy to deploy, scale, monitor, and debug for both us and customers. You will be solving challenges in user environments.
Within one month:
- You will deliver smart, streamlined solutions to our customers solving common on-premise configurations and debugging challenges.
- You will work directly with our support teams to help customers troubleshot, debug, tune, and configure deployments.
- You will work with other engineering teams to enable new initiatives through infrastructure as well as enhance our systems for performance and scalability.
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your direct reports and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- You will build a better understanding of our high agency value by reading Turn the Ship Around and sharing your thoughts about it with your manager and your team.
Within three months:
- You will simplify and enhance developer experience and tooling shortening the feedback loop.
- You will implement long term observability (and other DevOps pillars) enabling proactive management of our infrastructure.
- You will have a trusting relationship with your direct team and are able to connect their work to their own career goals
- You are able to coach and mentor your direct team to establish career goals and growth plans.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your teams, and the sustainable execution and hiring plan to get there.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, hiring, and onboarding processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- You will celebrate the fact that your org has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
- Cloud is performant, scalable, and observable
- Customers have seamless and robust deployment/upgrade methods for on-premise hosting
- Developer experience is expedient and predictable with top class continuous deployment, continuous integration, and continuous development tooling
Within one year:
- You will have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your team should work towards.
- You will develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven engineering leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our Distribution/DevOps team’s ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You are a team builder ready to tackle complex problems and build high functioning teams working with cutting-edge technology. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work.
- You have 2+ years leading an engineering team of 3 or more engineers.
- You have multiple experiences building and implementing DevOps practices and tools designed to increase an organization's ability to deliver applications and services faster.
- You have extensive experience in our core technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, container orchestration
- Experience with GCP
- Experience with Go and React
- Worked directly with customers helping them troubleshoot deployment and various other environmental issues
- [30m] Intro call with a Recruiter
- [45m] Hiring Manager interview with Director of Engineering
- [Assignment] With an all-remote worldwide team, good async written communication is essential. Pretend today is your first day on the job. Address how you will communicate to engineering leadership and your team how you would tackle solving the following problem: How would you set your team up for success maintaining all of these permutations in a robust and scalable way?
- [60m] Leadership interview with Engineering Director
- [60m] Technical experience interview with Distribution team members
- [60m] Team collaboration interview with Product and Design
- [30m] Final interview with VP of Engineering
- We check references & make you an offer!