Our Series D client’s mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, they are building an established Product design team and seeking a Director of Product Design.
About the Role:
Our client are someone who has a track record of designing and building successful products with multiple years of leadership experience. You are as passionate about product design itself as about building, nurturing, and developing a team of driven, scrappy, technical product designers and design managers. You will be the steward of the team’s culture, health, and organizational structure.
You have experience designing scalable product systems and have a talent for integrating data-driven and user experience priorities into an optimal solution. As both the design team and the product scale, you will advocate for the design team and advance the design perspective across the organization, driving alignment with partners and leaders in Product Management, Engineering, and Data Science.
As the director of a growing team, you will own the team’s recruiting efforts; this may include being active in the industry and with external partners and peers. You will be essential to building and maintaining a diverse and rigorous team that is empowered to take risks and learn from mistakes
- Recruit, nurture and retain top-tier talent
- Develop a deep network of design leads and people managers
- Provide a clear channel of communication and coordination between design teams and upper management
- Partner with key stakeholders to set goals, plan roadmaps, prioritize work, and coordinate staffing and resources on established planning cycles
- Identify problems, diagnose root causes, and design solutions to improve our projects, processes, and people management in a highly technical environment
- Achieve immediate results and short-term flexibility, while building processes and a culture that ensures the long-term health of the design systems supporting the product
- Work with the design management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes and culture across the entire design function
- Experience building consumer internet products
- 10+ years of hands-on product design experience
- 5+ years of direct management experience, including growing and managing other managers
- Excellent analytical skills and technical understanding
- Proven record of building and developing high-calibre design teams with happy, challenged, and curious designers
- Ability to drive alignment cross-functionally with strong interpersonal and leadership skills