What it's like to work here:
We work in small, nimble teams of 2-3 engineers. Projects that each team takes on range from real-time search and export tools, database and server optimization, or building our front end system. Teams rotate regularly so you’ll be working with different people every few sprints.
We’re proud of our ability to be full stack. We all have preferences for different parts of the stack, but we all share responsibility for and are empowered to improve our entire platform. This commitment also encourages us to grow in areas we’re less familiar with.
We take code quality seriously and are constantly improving our codebase. Every project we work on has dedicated time to address tech debt and we prioritize code quality initiatives on our product road map. Oh, and we never ship code without writing a full suite of tests (don’t worry, we’ll help in case this is newer to you)!
We strive for light and flexible processes. Each team decides how they’ll get work done, but we try to ensure that working solo, together, or even remotely are all equally effective. Daily standups, sprintly retrospectives, paired programming, randomly assigned code reviews, and “mob reviews” of larger changes are some of the practices we use.
We believe that making great products requires collaboration and empathy. Not only do we work closely with our product and design teams, we make it a point to pay regular visits to our customers. To better understand the challenges our customers are facing, every few months we’ll spend a week directly supporting our client success team.
We are focused on creating a great work environment. Most of all, we work hard to make an environment where honest feedback, mutual respect, and personal growth are valued. We want to make sure everyone feels comfortable bringing their whole self to work.
We need someone who will:
- Build a culture of engineering excellence via giving your team autonomy and setting clear goals and expectations. You empower your team members to make decisions and ask questions that will help them do their jobs better.
- Grow, inspire, and manage an engineering team capable of prioritizing and implementing the highest-impact projects that align with business objectives. Be proactive in identifying and clearing roadblocks for the team.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership in day-to-day software implementation cycles, write specifications, make architectural and design trade-off decisions, participate in design reviews, dive into coding and troubleshooting as required to fill the gaps in the group bandwidth.
- Nurture the technical and leadership growth of other engineers. Improve code quality and make others better through code reviews, pairing, documentation, technical guidance, and mentoring.
- Become a trusted advisor, contributor, and mentor to your team; your team members look to you for guidance and professional development and seek out interactions with you.
What you'll bring:
- Intense curiosity and problem-solving nature — it brings you joy to chew through difficult technical problems and develop simple, clean code and architecture for complex needs.
- Track record of building usable, scalable products (we'd love to see your portfolio or links to any projects you can share!)
- Experience managing engineers and projects across the full stack: Frontend, Backend, DevOps, QA, as well as with distributed web-based systems and service-oriented architecture.
- Collaborative development style: you enjoy pair programming and learning with and from others. The success of the team and the company is prioritized above your own self-interest.
- Experience with architecting and scaling SaaS enterprise applications is a strong bonus.