Intelletec has team up with a post-seed health analytics startup whom looking for a Head of Data Science to lead a team that is uncovering patterns in physician decision-making, performing product analytics and experimentation, and developing predictive models around patient outcomes.
Healthcare costs and ineafficiencies are one of the largest problems facing the United States, and improving healthcare quality can affect humanity on a global scale. Data science can lead to dramatic improvements in the lives of patients and providers, but healthcare data is difficult to access and expensive to understand, despite its abundance. we have the data, partners, and domain experts to help lead the transition to a sustainable health and economic model for the industry. We are backed by leading healthtech VCs and have strong traction among some of the nation’s most advanced hospitals.
What you'll do
Data science is the core of the product. You will be leading a business-critical team through a mix of operational and R&D initiatives, in the challenging but exciting context of a fast-moving startup.
Right now, the Data Science team has two primary workstreams:
1. Building our library of “insights”: physician-level metrics about care practices and patient
outcomes, which are the main content in our physician-facing product.
2. Analyzing the product’s impact on physician behavior and patient outcomes.
Across these two, data scientists spend most of their time performing exploratory and statistical analysis in close collaboration with business stakeholders and medical domain experts.
The Head of Data Science will:
● Lead the data science function and team
● Identify and tackle impactful business challenges and opportunities through data science
● Provide technical mentorship, project leadership and day-to-day management for our team of data scientists (3 and growing)
● Plan and execute the data science strategy and roadmap
● Collaborate with other internal teams (especially Product, Engineering and Customer Success)
● Hands-on leader, you will personally own critical initiatives
● Propagate a data-driven culture
*WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR*
The ideal candidate is a technically proficient data scientist with clinical healthcare expertise and experience managing a team.
We are looking for someone with demonstrable technical skills in data science, statistics and programming, consistent with 5+ years of professional experience. Previous managerial or leadership experience is a major plus.
The most relevant background and knowledge include:
● Analysis of complex and open-ended questions in messy data
● Econometrics and causal inference (eg difference in difference, regression discontinuity)
● Bayesian statistics, including hierarchical modelling with tools such as pymc3
● Software engineering: our DS team interacts directly with our production codebase in Python, so experience in the software engineering lifecycle and with tools such as git, unit testing, and continuous deployment is helpful.
● Knowledge of medical principles or experience working with health data, including electronic health record (EHR) data and/or standardized medical taxonomies such as ICD-10, CPT, SNOMED, etc.
We encourage people from historically underrepresented communities in technology to apply, including but not limited to women, people of color, people with disabilities and those who identify as LGBTQ. Our office is in downtown San Francisco, close to BART and Muni. US work authorization required.
Who You'll Work With:
a team of physicians, data scientists, economists, and health technologists committed to high-value care. We are passionate about our work and have a strong culture of healthy debate and challenging ideas. You should expect to receive challenging, nuanced, thought-provoking reactions to your work, and we are looking for a candidate who can thrive and participate in this kind of environment while staying action-oriented. We have fun together, with regular office happy hours and quarterly retreats, but we are also committed to diversity of lifestyles and to supporting work-life balance.