Our partner's mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge. They want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds—from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences—so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. They have developed a Q&A platform where online communities can come together to have discussions about whatever topic that interests them!
About the Team:
Their Designers are thoughtful generalist who leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction (their VP of Design reports directly to their CEO).
The Product Design team works on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems. Design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. They pursue candor, holism, rigor, care, and awareness in their work.
About the Role:
As a Product Design Manager, you will lead a team of scrappy and driven product designers who own the entire design process from start to finish. At the Company, designers are responsible for proposing and de-risking solutions, iterating on visuals and interactions, and finally implementing their designs in code. Their ideal candidate’s balance of product design experience and knack for talent development will enable them to hit the ground running, leading by example on product projects, the design team, and cross-functionally.
As a manager, you will be responsible for representing the design team’s perspective to cross-functional leads and partners in Engineering, Data Science and Product Management, as well as internally to the design team. In doing so, you will drive alignment and help connect individual workstreams to our greater mission and business goals. This is a hands-on leadership position; depending on your interests and skills, you may do some product design work as needed or desired.
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of Product Designers
- Encourage and develop an adaptive team with a growth mindset
- Identify high-impact opportunities, design features in pursuit of strategic goals, and present rationale for your decisions to gain consensus across teams and with leadership
- Autonomously lead multiple efforts while effectively collaborating with, as well as challenging, others to arrive at the most optimal solution
- Manage a team dealing with UI complexity (complexity reduction is not always the solution), resulting in polished UI design, clear information hierarchy, and a holistic feature set
- Guide designers through a data-driven environment
- Collaborate with Project Leads, Product Managers, and Product Designers for feedback and critique of product and processes
- Experience leading design teams building products across multiple platforms
- Experience building effective systems to accomplish product or business goals
- Ability to reason at a high level about a complex, social product, and to clearly explain the rationale for new features and changes
- Interest in using user research and data to inform design decisions
- One or both of the following:
- Sophisticated product thinking
- Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth
- Comfort with data A/B testing and data analysis frameworks
- Demonstrated visual design skills, especially in the construction of visual hierarchies, and attention to detail on typography, spacing, and color
Please provide a portfolio, personal website, or blog posts demonstrating relevant design and management capabilities in your application. This will help us understand your approach to design and managing.