Our client is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favourite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
Hack the Full Stack
Our engineers hack up and down the technology stack. It’s not uncommon for an engineer to go from backend coding to user experience design, from the video encoding pipeline to system scalability, from site maintenance to iOS/Android development. Engineers will own what they build from start to finish.
You will be responsible for:
- Brainstorming, designing, implementing, and rolling out the next generation of system to handle an order of magnitude more channels, users, and recordings.
- Developing our video pipeline: building highly available transcoding, segmentation, and video hosting and storage system.
- Automating system configuration: since we’re a small team, constantly deploying both new hardware systems and code in cloud infrastructure, we have no choice but to heavily automate our infrastructure.
- Hacking on our monitoring and management system: we graph, track, and alert on all kinds of metrics up and down our stack, giving us important insight into performance trends and helping us catch issues before they impact our users.
- Finding cheaper, faster, better solutions: both in our cloud environment and our hardware-based systems, we’re always trying to reduce costs and improve our product.
We are language agnostic, but most of our server-side code is written in Golang, Node, and Ruby, with some C++ and Python. Our centralized infrastructure is built out on Kubernetes, and we practice continuous deployment across all of our systems.
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two-week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!