Our Client was created to build a better TV experience. They provide a next-generation TV service, available nationwide, with a growing array of traditional and digital channels. Our client is a full featured product with multi-platform availability across web, apps and connected TV so that customers can watch where and when they choose.
What they do
The Product Team is responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television, the most engaging product ever created, across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Just as television is about more than simply watching an episode of your favorite show, so too does our work extend well beyond the play button. We take TV schedules, movie and show metadata, live and on-demand feeds, recordings, real-time localized usage metrics, cross-device interoperability, and individualized viewing habits, preferences, restrictions, and notifications – massaging it all into a comprehensive and seamless TV experience.
About their team
Roku was their first “10-foot” (streaming TV device) platform. Historically, Roku has also been one of their primary platforms for prototyping future features. They are highly focused on optimizing the 10-Foot Experience and you will directly contribute to that effort. By joining their team, you will work on a TV platform at a TV company, allowing you to make a large impact on their product design and development.
Are you ready to grow your UI skills beyond the browser and into the living room? If you are a frontend developer looking for a new challenge, join their team to help us build their Roku app and future smart TV apps. No previous Roku experience is required -- their in-house React BS framework leverages React and Redux architecture patterns to structure our native Roku app written in BrightScript. If you are a frontend developer and already familiar with React and Redux, then you share the same technical background as our entire Roku team so you will ramp up quickly in our Roku codebase.
As a React/UI engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Building their experience on Roku
- Contributing to UX design decisions using your domain expertise
- Helping the team set-top box team grow
- Helping expand their 10-Foot experience to other platforms
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Experience with React/Redux UI design concepts and modern frontend development practices
- 4 years of frontend or UI experience
- 2 years of React experience
A strong candidate might also have one or more of these:
- Experience with Redux, BrightScript, SceneGraph, or other Roku APIs
- Familiarity with the Roku ecosystem, including capabilities, limitations, and best practices across devices
- Experience with React Native, Flutter, or using web technologies on any non-browser platform
- Development experience with video playback, cross-device interoperability (e.g. casting), or other 10-foot, connected TV platforms in general (e.g. Roku, FireTV, Android TV, Apple TV, or Smart TVs)
They value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. They believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits they offer their team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!