When deploying applications in production, developers are forced to pick between two extremes: expensive yet simplistic platforms like Heroku, or complicated, do-it-all-yourself services like AWS. By contrast, they make it easy to get up and running quickly but also allows applications to scale and increase in complexity over time, preventing a transition to DIY infrastructure.
Their goal is to completely free up developers and teams from managing infrastructure. This will ultimately improve all software and enable entirely new kinds of applications.
They're building products that abstract over complexity and minimize cognitive overhead for our customers. This requires careful thought, high creativity and a deep understanding of application requirements in production. They believe that the best UX is invisible, and they strive to exceed customer expectations with a product that is incredibly intuitive and delightful, even in the tiniest of details. They're looking for engineers with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn.
Their platform serves over a billion requests every month and we have tens of thousands of users including Cypress.io, Bloomscape, NYU, and US presidential campaigns. They have product-market fit and rapidly increasing revenue, and we're backed by the same early stage investors behind Airbnb, Snap, and Stripe.
As a UX engineer, you will take ownership of the interactions and experiences of tens of thousands of developers as they use their platform. You will build visually appealing and intuitive interfaces that make developers want to use their platform even if they don't have a project to host on it.
You should already have a few years of experience building detailed product interactions and workflows. You should also have a keen understanding of UX design, and extensive experience collaborating with product and design teams in building complex frontend applications in React. Prior experience developing design systems is a plus.
We're a small team of world-class engineers. We have complete ownership for every project we take on and expect the same from you. We review all major code changes through pull requests, and are always pushing ourselves to do better. We iterate quickly and deploy to production several times a day.
Why join our Client:
- We're solving a problem faced by every developer and development team. It's a massive and rapidly growing market (AWS is privately valued at over $200B, and there are over 30 million professional developers globally).
- Delightful UX is the one of the biggest differentiators, and as our first UX engineer you will have tremendous impact on the product and company's trajectory.
- Everyone wants to move their infrastructure to Kubernetes, but it's too complex for the average development team. Makes it possible to get the power of Kubernetes without any of its complexity.
- Top engineering leaders from VMware, Dropbox, Heroku and GitHub are some of our biggest investors and cheerleaders.
- Their CEO helped Stripe scale from 10 to over 400 people and is applying many of the same principles that helped Stripe succeed.
What you will work on:
- You will work with the design team on their website and dashboard, continuously improving their visual appeal and ease of use.
- You will collaborate with other Engineers to build user interfaces for upcoming products and features.
- You will create high fidelity prototypes to help find solutions to thorny interaction problems.
- You will create unit and integration tests for the frontend using tools like Jest and Enzyme, and end-to-end testing pipelines using tools like Cypress
- You will own the observability of user interactions and use this data to drive improvements across the board.
- You will create a world class onboarding experience for users and continue to refine it based on data.
You are a great fit for this role if:
- You have a few years of professional experience building complex frontend applications and experiences.
- Bonus points if you’ve excelled at a small, high-growth startup.
- You have a user-centric mindset and impressive attention to detail.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and believe in direct, open and honest communication.
- You are self-directed, curious by nature and an impressively quick learner.
- You are unfazed by unfamiliar challenges and enjoy figuring things out on your own.
- Bonus points for experience developing design systems and conducting user research.
The ideal candidate would check everything above but you should certainly apply if you identify with most of it.
Some benefits they offer
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage with PPO plans and 100% of your premiums paid by our client.
- 99th percentile stock grants and a comfortable San Francisco salary.
- Four weeks paid vacation, and vacation days are only counted when you take more than one at a time.
- Work from home if you have a delivery or chore to take care of.
- 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Commuter benefits including Lyft and SF Muni passes.
- A sunny, beautiful, well-stocked office in SoMa close to Caltrain and BART.
- Monthly gym membership allowance.
- Build your own laptop/workstation with any peripheral or accessory you need.
- Use the company card to order any work-related ebook or p-book, and buy anything to make your work environment more ergonomic.
- Financial and logistical assistance to help you relocate to the Bay Area.
- Immigration assistance.
- Birthday celebrations, weekly happy hours, company dinners, and semi-annual team retreats.
- Surprise gifts for the holidays!