Our client is looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to join their team in San Francisco. They ingest a high quantity of data (up to 2 million transactions/second) formed in unique patterns (for each customer) that need to accessed and analyzed in a performant manner. The key problems we face on a day-to-day basis are performance, reliability, and flexibility at scale, and the ideal candidate will have experience with discovering and implementing practical, innovative solutions.
As a Backend Engineer, you would have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects. You may work on a DSL to make creation of disparate detection-models performant and easy for non-technical users, set up and implement a new data store to enable pre-computation on the fly, or dig into the details of data ingestion to find ways to increase performance by sub-seconds.
The engineering team is low process and high autonomy - we emphasize product decision-making and prioritization by folks who own the work. As a result, you'll be expected to get familiar with how the product works, get into the mindset of the customer, and influence the decisions made regarding what you build. Additionally, you'll have a significant say in what you work on, and will be expected to prioritize the most meaningful work for the company. Members of our engineering org are curious, humble, and focused on execution; if you embody these qualities and want to surrounded by like-minded people, this is the place for you.
● Experience in developing and owning end-to-end APIs, data-flows, and infrastructure for consumer or enterprise products
● Proficiency in one or more object-oriented languages, such as Python, Java, Scala, C#, etc.
● Proficiency in one or more RDBMS, such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, etc.
● Familiarity with one or more NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Neo4j, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, etc
● Proficiency with data modeling and performant data access strategies
● Proficiency with API design and optimization
● Hustle, curiosity, humility
Bonus Points (Preferred Qualifications)
● Professional experience with some or all of our stack: PostgreSQL, Python, Elasticsearch, Snowflake, AWS, Terraform, React
● Experience with making product decisions
● Experience with autonomous, self-directed work
● Strong communication skills
● Bachelor's/Master's degree in Computer Science or related fields
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org